Knoxville is a city in the U.S. state of Tennessee, and the county seat of Knox County. The city is located in the Appalachian region of East Tennessee and is the third-largest city in the state, behind Nashville and Memphis. The population of Knoxville as of 2020 census is estimated to be 187,603. The city is home to the University of Tennessee, and its downtown area features a vibrant nightlife and cultural scene. Knoxville is also known for its outdoor recreation opportunities, including hiking and rafting in the nearby Great Smoky Mountains. The city is served by McGhee Tyson Airport and has a strong economy with major industries including healthcare, education, and manufacturing.
10 Things to do knoxville tennessee
- Visit the Knoxville Zoo, home to over 800 animals from around the world.
- Take a stroll through the Knoxville Botanical Garden and Arboretum.
- Visit the University of Tennessee’s campus and take a tour of Neyland Stadium.
- Explore the museums and exhibits at the McClung Museum of Natural History and Culture.
- Visit the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Take a boat tour of the Tennessee River with Star of Knoxville Riverboat.
- Explore the history and culture of the city at the East Tennessee History Center.
- Check out the Knoxville Museum of Art to see works by regional and national artists.
- Visit the Ijams Nature Center and hike the various trails.
- Visit the World’s Fair Park, a popular spot for events and festivals and take a ride on the Sunsphere Observation Deck.
Advice things to do knoxville tennessee
- Take a hike in the Great Smoky Mountains: The Great Smoky Mountains are just a short drive from Knoxville and offer some of the best hiking in the region. Some popular trails include the Alum Cave Trail, Chimney Tops, and the Rainbow Falls trail.
- Visit the Market Square: This historic district in downtown Knoxville features a variety of shops, restaurants, and galleries. It’s a great place to grab a bite to eat and do some shopping.
- Explore the University of Tennessee: The University of Tennessee is a major presence in Knoxville and offers a variety of tours and exhibits. Take a tour of the campus, visit the UT Gardens, or check out an event at the Neyland Stadium.
- Visit the Knoxville Museum of Art: The museum features works by regional and national artists and is a great place to spend a few hours.
- Visit the Knoxville Zoo: The zoo has over 800 animals from around the world and is a great place for a family outing.
- Take a boat tour on the Tennessee River: Star of Knoxville Riverboat offers boat tours of the Tennessee River, which is a great way to see the city from a different perspective.
- Visit the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame: This museum is dedicated to the history of women’s basketball and is a must-see for fans of the sport.
- Check out the Ijams Nature Center: This nature center has hiking trails, rock climbing, and kayaking and is a great place to enjoy the outdoors.
- Visit the World’s Fair Park: This park is a popular spot for events and festivals, and it’s also home to the Sunsphere Observation Deck, which offers great views of the city.
- Visit the Knoxville Botanical Garden and Arboretum: This beautiful garden features a variety of plants and flowers and is a great place for a relaxing stroll.
Caution things to do knoxville tennessee
- Be aware of the weather when visiting the Great Smoky Mountains: The weather in the mountains can be unpredictable, so be sure to check the forecast and come prepared for any conditions.
- Take precautions when hiking: Hiking can be a great way to explore the Great Smoky Mountains, but it’s important to take the necessary precautions to ensure a safe hike. Be sure to wear proper footwear, bring enough water, and let someone know your hiking plans.
- Be aware of crime in certain areas: As with any city, there may be certain areas of Knoxville where crime rates are higher. Be aware of your surroundings and take the necessary precautions to stay safe.
- Be aware of traffic and parking: Knoxville can have heavy traffic, especially during rush hour and events. Be aware of this when planning your trip and try to avoid peak hours if possible. Also, parking can be limited, so try to plan ahead and find a parking spot before you head to your destination.
- Be aware of the water levels when rafting: Rafting in the Tennessee River can be a great experience, but the water levels can change quickly, so it’s important to check the conditions before you go and only raft with experienced guides.
- Be aware of the rules and regulations of the wildlife sanctuary, national parks, and nature centers: Many of the places you may want to visit have rules and regulations to follow, such as not feeding the animals or not to leave the designated trails. Be sure to read and follow these rules to avoid penalties and to protect the natural environment.
- Be aware of your personal belongings: As with any city, it’s important to keep an eye on your personal belongings, especially in crowded areas. Try to keep your valuables in a secure location and be aware of your surroundings.
pros cons things to do knoxville tennessee
Pros of things to do in Knoxville, Tennessee:
- Great outdoor recreation: The Great Smoky Mountains and the Tennessee River provide a variety of outdoor activities such as hiking, rafting, and kayaking.
- Rich cultural and historical scene: The city has a variety of museums, galleries, and historic sites that offer a glimpse into the city’s past and cultural heritage.
- Vibrant nightlife and entertainment: Knoxville has a thriving nightlife scene, with a variety of bars, clubs, and live music venues.
- Access to higher education: The city is home to the University of Tennessee, which offers a variety of educational and cultural opportunities.
- Family-friendly activities: There are many family-friendly activities available in the city, such as visiting the zoo, botanical gardens, and nature centers.
Cons of things to do in Knoxville, Tennessee:
- Traffic and parking: The city can have heavy traffic and parking can be limited, especially during peak hours and events.
- Weather can be unpredictable: The weather in the Great Smoky Mountains can change quickly and be unpredictable, so it’s important to be prepared for any conditions.
- Some areas may have higher crime rates: As with any city, there may be certain areas of Knoxville where crime rates are higher, so it’s important to be aware of your surroundings and take the necessary precautions to stay safe.
- Some activities may have seasonal availability: Some activities like rafting and hiking are only available at certain times of the year, and may be affected by the weather and water levels.
- Some activities may have costs: Some activities such as boat tours, entrance fee to the museums and parks, and guided tours may have costs, it’s important to plan ahead and budget accordingly.
Knoxville, Tennessee offers a variety of things to do, including outdoor recreation in the Great Smoky Mountains and on the Tennessee River, a rich cultural and historical scene with museums, galleries, and historic sites, a vibrant nightlife and entertainment scene, access to higher education at the University of Tennessee, and family-friendly activities such as visiting the zoo and botanical gardens. However, there are also some downsides to consider such as heavy traffic and limited parking, unpredictable weather, higher crime rates in some areas, some activities being seasonal, and some activities having costs. It’s important to be aware of these factors when planning a trip to Knoxville and to take necessary precautions.