Grand Canyon National Park is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the United States, and for good reason. The park is home to the iconic Grand Canyon, which is a massive, steep-sided gorge carved by the Colorado River over millions of years. There are plenty of things to see and do in the park, and visitors can choose from a variety of activities depending on their interests and fitness level.
Here are some popular things to do in Grand Canyon National Park:
- Hiking: There are several trails that lead to the bottom of the Grand Canyon, and hiking to the bottom is a popular activity for many visitors. The most popular trail is the Bright Angel Trail, which is a well-maintained trail that starts at the South Rim and descends over 4,000 feet to the Colorado River.
- Scenic Drive: If you don’t want to hike all the way down, you can also drive along Desert View Drive, which offers stunning views of the Grand Canyon from the rim. Along the drive, there are several lookout points where you can stop to take in the views.
- Rafting the Colorado River: For an exciting adventure, you can take a rafting trip down the Colorado River. These trips usually last between one and two weeks and will take you through the heart of the Grand Canyon. It’s an unforgettable experience
- Mule Ride: Another popular way to see the Grand Canyon is by taking a mule ride. These guided tours start at the South Rim and take you to the bottom of the canyon. You can also take a mule ride to the Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon, where you can spend the night.
- Guided tours: Another way to explore the park is to take a guided tour, which will take you to some of the park’s most popular sights and provide you with information about the geology, history, and ecology of the area. There are many different guided tours available, including bus tours, jeep tours, and helicopter tours.
- Ranger Programs: National Park Service Ranger led Programs, that includes guided walks, talks, Junior Ranger Programs and evening programs are available throughout the year, also in summer months ranger naturalist also lead the way for campfire programs.
- Stargazing: The park is also great for stargazing, as the night skies are usually very clear, offering great views of the stars, constellations, and planets. The park rangers provide stargazing programs in the evening, you can also spot the Milky way in the dark sky.
- Wildlife watching: The park is home to a variety of wildlife, including mule deer, bighorn sheep, and a wide variety of birds, including eagles, hawks, and falcons. Keep your eyes open, you might be lucky to spot one.
These are just a few of the many things that you can do in Grand Canyon National Park, and of course, you can also take in the breathtaking views from the rim and various viewpoints that the park offers. With so many activities to choose from, you’re sure to have an unforgettable experience.