Mae Hong Son is a province located in the northwest of Thailand, bordering Myanmar. It is situated on the western edge of the Shan Hills and is known for its rugged mountains, lush jungles, and unique culture. The province covers an area of approximately 12,681 square kilometers and has a population of around 260,000.
The climate in Mae Hong Son is tropical monsoon, with a rainy season from May to October and a dry season from November to April. The temperature varies little throughout the year, averaging around 27 degrees Celsius during the day and 14 degrees Celsius at night. The area receives heavy rainfall during the rainy season, with the heaviest rains usually falling in September and October.
Mae Hong Son is also known for its cool temperatures, especially during the night and early morning, where temperatures can drop to 10 degrees Celsius. It’s important to note that the temperature can drop significantly when visiting high altitude places like Doi Inthanon National Park.
Mae Hong Son is a beautiful province located in the northwest of Thailand, known for its stunning mountains, lush jungles, and unique culture. The area is a popular destination for nature lovers, adventure seekers, and those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. Here are some of the top things to do in Mae Hong Son:
6 best things to do in mae hong son Thailand
- Visit the Wat Phra That Doi Kong Mu Temple – This temple is located on a hilltop overlooking the town of Mae Hong Son and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains. The temple is also home to a golden stupa and a large statue of the Lord Buddha.
- Explore the Mae Hong Son Loop – This scenic route takes you through the heart of Mae Hong Son’s lush jungles and mountains. Along the way, you’ll see traditional villages, rice paddies, and beautiful waterfalls.
- Visit the Long Neck Karen Villages – Mae Hong Son is home to several traditional Long Neck Karen villages. These villages are known for the women’s practice of wearing brass rings around their necks, giving the appearance of a elongated neck. Visitors can learn about the culture and customs of the Long Neck Karen people and purchase traditional handicrafts.
- Take a Trekking Tour – Mae Hong Son is an ideal destination for trekking, with its rugged mountains and lush jungles. There are many guided treks available, ranging from easy day hikes to challenging multi-day expeditions.
- Visit the Mae Hong Son Night Bazaar – This night market is a great place to pick up souvenirs, sample local street food, and experience the local nightlife.
- Visit the Mae Surin Waterfall – The Mae Surin Waterfall is one of the most beautiful waterfall in the province, it’s located in the middle of the forest, the waterfall is surrounded by lush greenery.
Overall, Mae Hong Son offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy, from cultural and historical sites to outdoor activities and natural wonders. With its stunning scenery and friendly people, it’s no wonder that Mae Hong Son has become such a popular destination.