Khao Tom is a simple and comforting Thai rice soup that is often eaten for breakfast or as a light meal. Here is a recipe you can follow to make it at home:
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup of diced cooked pork
- 1/2 cup of diced cooked shrimp
- 1/2 cup of diced tofu (optional)
- Chopped green onions and cilantro for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, bring the chicken broth, water, rice, onion, garlic, fish sauce, and soy sauce to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, pork, shrimp, and tofu (if using) to the pan and stir fry for 3-4 minutes until they are heated through.
- Ladle the Khao Tom into bowls and top with the stir fried meats and tofu. Garnish with green onions and cilantro if desired.