To make Khao Soi, you will need the following ingredients:
For the curry paste:
- 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds
- 4 dried chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon of chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon of chopped lemongrass
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
For the curry:
- 1 pound of chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 package of fresh egg noodles
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1/2 cup of crispy fried noodles, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for serving
To make the Khao Soi, follow these steps:
- To make the curry paste, toast the cumin seeds and coriander seeds in a dry pan over medium heat until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Grind the toasted seeds in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
- Soak the dried chili peppers in hot water for 10 minutes, then drain and remove the stems and seeds.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the ground cumin and coriander seeds, soaked chili peppers, garlic, shallots, lemongrass, turmeric, and salt. Blend the mixture into a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the curry paste and fry it for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the chicken to the pot and cook it until it is browned on all sides.
- Add the coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, and sugar to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the curry is simmering, cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions.
- To serve the Khao Soi, divide the cooked noodles between serving bowls. Ladle the curry over the noodles, then garnish with cilantro, crispy fried noodles, and a lime wedge. Enjoy!