There are several ways to get to Suriname:
- By plane: Suriname has one international airport, the Johan Adolf Pengel International Airport in the capital city of Paramaribo. There are several airlines that offer flights to Suriname from major cities in the United States, Europe, and Latin America.
- By boat: You can also reach Suriname by boat from neighboring countries such as Guyana, Brazil, and French Guiana.
- By bus: There are also long-distance bus services available from Guyana and Brazil.
10 popular tourist attractions in Suriname include:
- Paramaribo: The capital city of Suriname is known for its vibrant culture and history, as well as its beautiful colonial-era architecture.
- Coppename Falls: These stunning falls are located in the central part of the country and offer a breathtaking view of the surrounding landscape.
- Central Suriname Nature Reserve: This vast nature reserve is home to a wide variety of plant and animal species and is a popular destination for eco-tourism.
- Fort Zeelandia: This well-preserved fort, located in the capital city of Paramaribo, is a popular destination for tourists interested in history and architecture.
- The Suriname River: This beautiful river is a popular destination for boat tours and offers a unique look into the culture and way of life of the people who live along its banks.
- The New Garden: Located in Paramaribo, this beautiful park is home to a number of interesting plants and animals and is a popular destination for picnics and outdoor activities.
- The Jodensavanne Archaeological Site: Located in the eastern part of the country, this site is home to a number of well-preserved Jewish graves and is a popular destination for tourists interested in history and archaeology.
- The Guiana Shield: This vast region, located in the north of the country, is home to a number of stunning landscapes and is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
- The Palmentuin: Located in the capital city of Paramaribo, this beautiful park is home to a number of interesting plants and animals and is a popular destination for picnics and outdoor activities.
- The Maroon Villages: Located in the interior of the country, these villages are home to a number of indigenous communities and offer a unique look into the culture and way of life of these people.
Other important information that tourists should know:
- It is recommended that tourists purchase travel insurance before coming to Suriname.
- It is important to be aware of local customs and traditions and to respect the culture of Suriname.
- It is advisable to be cautious when traveling to certain areas of the country, as crime and violence can be a problem in some areas.
- It is important to stay hydrated and to use insect repellent to protect against mosquito-borne illnesses such as malaria and dengue fever.
- It is recommended that tourists carry cash in small denominations, as credit card acceptance can be limited in some areas.
- It is important to be aware of local laws and regulations and to follow them while in Suriname.
- It is also recommended that tourists get the necessary vaccinations and take other health precautions before coming to Suriname. This may include getting vaccinated for yellow fever, hepatitis A and B, and other illnesses. It is also a good idea to drink bottled water and be mindful of what you eat to reduce the risk of getting sick.