It is generally safe to travel to Nepal as a solo traveler, and there are many things to see and do in the country. Here are some tips for planning your trip:
- Get a visa: You will need to obtain a visa before traveling to Nepal. You can apply for a visa online or in person at a Nepalese embassy or consulate.
- Plan your route: Nepal has several international airports, so you can fly into the one that is most convenient for you. Kathmandu is the capital and largest city in Nepal, and it is a good starting point for your trip.
- Pack wisely: Nepal has a range of climates, so be sure to bring clothing that is suitable for both hot and cold weather. It is also a good idea to bring a backpack or other luggage that is sturdy and easy to carry.
- Consider hiring a guide: If you are traveling solo, it may be a good idea to hire a guide to show you around and help you navigate the country. A local guide can also provide valuable insights into the culture and customs of Nepal.
Here are 20 things to do in Nepal:
- Visit the Kathmandu Durbar Square: This historic palace complex is a UNESCO World Heritage site and home to the living goddess, Kumari.
- Go trekking in the Himalayas: Nepal is home to some of the highest peaks in the world, including Mount Everest. There are many trekking routes to choose from, ranging from easy to challenging.
- Take a tour of the Patan Durbar Square: This square is located in the city of Patan and is home to ancient temples, palaces, and courtyards.
- Visit the Swayambhunath Temple: Also known as the Monkey Temple, this ancient Buddhist temple is located on a hill overlooking Kathmandu and is home to a large population of monkeys.
- Go rafting on the Trisuli River: The Trisuli River is a popular spot for rafting, and there are many companies that offer guided tours.
- Visit the Pashupatinath Temple: This Hindu temple is located on the banks of the Bagmati River and is a popular place for cremations.
- Take a tour of the Bhaktapur Durbar Square: This square is located in the city of Bhaktapur and is home to a number of ancient temples and palaces.
- Go paragliding in Pokhara: Pokhara is a popular spot for paragliding, and there are many companies that offer guided tours.
- Visit the Chitwan National Park: This national park is home to a variety of wildlife, including rhinos, tigers, and elephants.
- Take a tour of the Boudhanath Stupa: This ancient Buddhist temple is one of the largest in Nepal and is a popular place for meditation and prayer.
- Go mountain biking in the Annapurna region: The Annapurna region is home to some of the most beautiful scenery in Nepal and is a popular spot for mountain biking.
- Visit the Thamel neighborhood in Kathmandu: This vibrant neighborhood is known for its shops, restaurants, and nightlife.
- Go canyoneering in the Seti Gorge: The Seti Gorge is a popular spot for canyoneering, and there are many companies that offer guided tours.
- Take a tour of the Lumbini Garden: This garden is home to the birthplace of Buddha and is a popular place for pilgrimage.