To travel to Micronesia by yourself, you’ll need to book a flight to one of the main airports in the region. The main airports in Micronesia are located on the islands of Guam, Saipan, and Pohnpei. From there, you can take a taxi or bus to your final destination. There are many resorts and hotels in Micronesia that can help you plan your trip and arrange transportation.
As for things to do in Micronesia, here are 20 destinations and activities to consider:
- Visit the capital city, Palikir, and explore its markets, temples, and museums.
- Take a boat ride to the nearby islands of Yap and Chuuk, known for their beautiful beaches and rich history.
- Go scuba diving in the crystal clear waters of Pohnpei, home to a diverse array of marine life.
- Hike to the top of Mount Nanpil, Pohnpei’s highest peak.
- Visit the Nan Madol ruins, a ancient city built on a series of small artificial islands.
- Go snorkeling in the coral reefs of the Federated States of Micronesia.
- Take a boat ride through the mangroves of the Nett Memorial Lagoon.
- Explore the cultural villages of Pohnpei, and learn about traditional Micronesian life.
- Visit the Pohnpei State Museum, a museum dedicated to preserving Micronesian culture.
- Go surfing at the world-class surf break on the island of Pohnpei.
- Take a cultural tour of a Micronesian village and learn about traditional Micronesian life.
- Go horseback riding through the scenic hills of Pohnpei.
- Visit the Sokehs Rock, a historic site with panoramic views of the island.
- Go fishing in the waters surrounding Micronesia, known for their abundance of tuna, marlin, and other game fish.
- Take a boat ride to the island of Yap and visit the Yap Cultural Center, a museum dedicated to preserving Yapese culture.
- Go on a birdwatching tour and see some of the unique and colorful bird species found in Micronesia.
- Visit the Palau National Museum, a museum dedicated to preserving Palauan culture.
- Go snorkeling in the coral reefs of Palau, home to a diverse array of marine life.
- Take a boat ride to the Rock Islands of Palau, a group of small, uninhabited islands known for their beautiful beaches and crystal clear waters.
- Visit the Tashmahal, a historic building in the capital city of Palikir that serves as the seat of the government of the Federated States of Micronesia.