To visit Mount Fuji, you can take a train or bus from Tokyo to one of the five lakes surrounding the mountain: Lake Kawaguchiko, Lake Yamanakako, Lake Saiko, Lake Motosu, or Lake Shoji. From there, you can take a bus or hire a taxi to go to the mountain.
As for things to do, here are 20 ideas for you:
- Hike to the summit of Mount Fuji.
- Visit the Arakurayama Sengen Park, which offers a panoramic view of Mount Fuji.
- Go on a boat tour of Lake Kawaguchiko.
- Visit the Fuji-Q Highland amusement park.
- Take a dip in one of the hot springs around the mountain.
- Visit the Fujisan Hongu Sengen Taisha shrine.
- Go skiing or snowboarding at Fujikyu Highland.
- Visit the Mount Fuji World Heritage Center.
- Check out the Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park.
- Visit the Itchiku Kubota Art Museum.
- Go paragliding or hang gliding.
- Visit the Mount Fuji Museum.
- Go fishing in one of the lakes.
- Visit the Fujisan Folk Village.
- Go on a scenic drive around the mountain.
- Visit the Suntory brewery in Hakushu.
- Visit the Chureito Pagoda for a view of Mount Fuji and cherry blossoms.
- Go on a wine tour of the Yamanashi region.
- Visit the Chino City Museum.
- Try some of the local food, such as the Mount Fuji wild boar hot pot.