How to Make a Delicious Homemade Cake
Baking a cake at home can be a fun and rewarding experience. Not only is it a great way to showcase your culinary skills, but it also allows you to personalize your cake to your taste and dietary preferences. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a beginner, this guide will walk you through the steps of making a delicious homemade cake from scratch.
Table of Contents
- Preparing the Cake Pan
- Mixing the Batter
- Baking the Cake
- Frosting and Decorating
To make a basic vanilla cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
In addition to the ingredients, you will also need the following equipment:
- 2 (9-inch) round cake pans
- Mixing bowls
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
Preparing the Cake Pan
Before you begin mixing the batter, it’s important to prepare the cake pan to ensure that the cake will come out cleanly. Here’s how to do it:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Grease the bottom and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans with butter or cooking spray.
- Line the bottom of each pan with a circle of parchment paper.
- Grease the parchment paper and sprinkle with flour, shaking the pans to distribute the flour evenly and tapping out any excess.
Mixing the Batter
Now that your pans are prepared, it’s time to mix the batter. Here are the steps to making a basic vanilla cake batter:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together with a hand mixer or stand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the bowl, starting and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing just until combined after each addition.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and smooth the tops with a spatula.
Baking the Cake
Now it’s time to bake your cake. Here’s how:
- Place the pans in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Remove the pans from the oven and let the cakes cool in the pans for 10 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting and decorating.
Frosting and Decorating
Now that your cakes are baked and cooled, it’s time to add the finishing touches. Here are some ideas for frosting and decorating your cake:
- For a simple frosting, whisk together 1 cup of powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of butter, and 1-2 tablespoons of milk until smooth. Spread the frosting evenly over the top and sides of the cake.
- Add some food coloring to the frosting to make it a fun color.
- Decorate the cake with sprinkles, fresh fruit, or edible flowers.
- If you have a cake decorating set, you can use it to pipe designs onto the cake.
And there you have it! A delicious homemade cake that you can customize to your taste and decorate however you like. Happy baking!