To travel to Greece by yourself, you’ll need to book a flight to one of the main airports in the country. The main airports in Greece are located in Athens, Thessaloniki, and Crete. From there, you can take a taxi or public transportation to your final destination. There are many resorts and hotels in Greece that can help you plan your trip and arrange transportation.
As for things to do in Greece, here are 18 destinations and activities to consider:
- Visit the Acropolis of Athens and see the Parthenon, a temple dedicated to the goddess Athena.
- Take a day trip to the island of Delos, a sacred island in Greek mythology and an important center of ancient Greek culture.
- Go scuba diving in the crystal clear waters of the Greek islands, home to a diverse array of marine life.
- Hike to the top of Mount Olympus, the highest peak in Greece and the mythical home of the gods.
- Visit the Archaeological Museum of Athens, a museum with a collection of ancient Greek artifacts.
- Go snorkeling in the coral reefs of the island of Rhodes.
- Take a boat ride through the mangroves of the Lindos Blu, a protected area home to a variety of plants and animals.
- Explore the cultural villages of the Peloponnese and learn about traditional Greek life.
- Visit the Temple of Olympian Zeus, a temple dedicated to the god Zeus in ancient Athens.
- Go surfing at one of the many world-class surf breaks in Greece.
- Take a cultural tour of a Greek village and learn about traditional Greek life.
- Go horseback riding through the scenic hills of the island of Crete.
- Visit the Museum of the History of the Olympic Games, a museum dedicated to the history of the Olympic Games.
- Go fishing in the waters surrounding Greece, known for their abundance of tuna, marlin, and other game fish.
- Take a boat ride to the island of Santorini and visit the ancient city of Akrotiri, a well-preserved city buried by a volcanic eruption in the 16th century BC.
- Go on a birdwatching tour and see some of the unique and colorful bird species found in Greece.
- Visit the Museum of Cycladic Art, a museum with a collection of ancient Greek art.
- Go snorkeling in the coral reefs of the island of Zakynthos.