To travel to Australia by yourself, you’ll need to book a flight to one of the main airports in the country. Australia has several international airports, including Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide. From there, you can take a taxi or public transportation to your final destination. There are many resorts and hotels in Australia that can help you plan your trip and arrange transportation.
As for things to do in Australia, here are 20 destinations and activities to consider:
- Visit the Sydney Opera House and take a tour of this iconic building.
- Take a day trip to the nearby Blue Mountains, a beautiful mountain range known for its hiking trails and scenic views.
- Go scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef, the world’s largest coral reef system.
- Hike to the top of Uluru (also known as Ayers Rock), a large sandstone rock formation in the desert region of central Australia.
- Visit the Australian War Memorial, a museum dedicated to remembering the sacrifices of Australians in war.
- Go snorkeling in the Ningaloo Reef, a coral reef located in Western Australia.
- Take a boat ride through the mangroves of the Daintree Rainforest, the oldest living rainforest in the world.
- Explore the cultural villages of the Northern Territory and learn about traditional Indigenous Australian life.
- Visit the Art Gallery of New South Wales, a museum with a collection of Australian and international art.
- Go surfing at one of the many world-class surf breaks in Australia.
- Take a cultural tour of an Indigenous Australian community and learn about traditional Indigenous Australian life.
- Go horseback riding through the scenic hills of the Gold Coast Hinterland.
- Visit the Melbourne Cricket Ground, a historic sports stadium and the home of Australian rules football.
- Go fishing in the waters surrounding Australia, known for their abundance of tuna, marlin, and other game fish.
- Take a boat ride to the island of Tasmania and visit the Port Arthur Historic Site, a former prison colony.
- Go on a birdwatching tour and see some of the unique and colorful bird species found in Australia.
- Visit the Australian National Gallery, a museum with a collection of Australian and international art.
- Go snorkeling in the coral reefs of the Whitsunday Islands.
- Take a boat ride to the island of Fraser and go sandboarding on the dunes.
- Visit the Sydney Harbour Bridge, an iconic landmark and popular tourist destination